Quality Vision International

LinkedInYouTubeFacebookTwitter



QVI History 1 QVI History 2 QVI History 3 QVU History 4 QVI History 5 QVI Hostory 6


The company we know today as QVI was founded in 1945.

As U.S. industry returned to peacetime production, the Universal Engraving and Colorplate Company of Cleveland, Ohio, started a new division to make charts and fixtures for optical comparators. This company was known as Engineers Specialties Division, and was located in Buffalo, New York. ESD decided to start an Engineering center in nearby Rochester, and hired a young engineer who had just completed his service with the Rochester Ordnance division – Edward C. Polidor.

As the years progressed, ESD was reorganized into two divisions – Optical Gaging Products and Projection Gages, Inc. The two divisions operated together under ESD control until being acquired by Ex-Cell-O Corporation in 1959.

In 1955, Ed Polidor left ESD and founded a new company called Automation Gages, which produced a number of innovative optical and mechanical systems for inspection and measurement. In the 1960s, AG expanded by developing more elaborate electronics and controls to automate their inspection systems. In 1969, AG acquired General Measurement Research (GMR) of Berkeley, California – pioneers in digital position sensing and readouts. Between 1970 and 1975, AG acquired OGP, Ex-Cell-O, Visual Inspection Products and Bendix Contour Projector Corp, including their popular Bausch & Lomb line of optical comparators. Eventually, the company consolidated all these brands into one operation which became known as Optical Gaging Products.

In the early 1980s OGP developed its first video-based measurement systems. The advent of solid state video cameras and micro-processors enabled high speed, precision analysis of optical images. Over the next fifteen years, OGP introduced four generations of systems, each of which pioneered new levels of measurement speed and accuracy. Vidicom Qualifier™, Q-See™, Intelligent Qualifier™, and ultimately the OGP SmartScope® which ranks today as the world leading line of multisensor dimensional measuring systems.

In 2000, OGP's owners formed Quality Vision International to enable the expansion of the OGP business worldwide. The company acquired VIEW Engineering of Simi Valley, California – one of the first makers of video inspection systems. In 2003, RAM Optical Instrumentation joined the QVI family. In 2005, Micro-Metric of San Jose, Ca. joined QVI, along with Kotem Technologies, a leader in measurement and evaluation software based in Budapest, Hungary. In 2007, QVI acquired Certified Comparator Products of Dayton, Ohio, and subsequently reinvented the traditional optical comparator under the CCP brand. In 2014, ShapeGrabber of Ottawa, Canada joined the QVI family, adding 3D Scanning systems to the QVI portfolio of measurement technologies.   Also in 2014, QVI formed a new technology and distribution partnership with Itaca Measurement Solutions of Turin, Italy.

Throughout our nearly 70-year history, QVI has consistently been at the forefront of developing new and practical technology for dimensional measurement. Our trademark Precision for People® sums up a long history of integrating advanced optics, electronics and software in ways that are practical, affordable and effective for industrial quality control.